Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Erratic Field Names downstream from macro with Dynamic Rename Tool

MikeXR
5 - Atom

I have macro that I use to calculate the time interval into which each row of data falls (see attached DemoMacro). It ueses the "Update Select with Reverse Field Map" Tool to ensure the previously mapped column is renamed to its original name. To make sure that the additionally created fields are named with the original Field Name (+ some suffix) I use the Dynamic Rename tool.

My problem is, that further down in the workflow I sometimes get the correct field names (i. e. original field names + suffixes) and sometimes I get the field names that are used inside the macro.

The problem occurs when I make changes to the workflow, e. g. changing the value that I change the field name to in a Select Tool after the mentioned macro. The new field name does not propagate properly and I have to very tediously fix tools one by one and always do a run in between to update field names downstream. 

How can I make sure my Macro only outputs one field name that tools downstream will pick up so that the field name used inside the macro does not appear outside somehow?

Thanks a lot in advance!

2 REPLIES 2
TrevorS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @MikeXR 

Im not sure I fully understand the issue you are encountering. But I believe an easier way you can handle the dynamic rename is by the below methods.

Its a pretty simple Dynamic rename by either specifying the headers in a text input tool or using the data input and a sample tool to pull the headers you wish to use.

You could also look at adding a text input with append down the pipeline which you can use to update the specific suffix to the data if they all use the same data suffix.

Hope this helps!
TrevorS

Community Moderator
MikeXR
5 - Atom

Hi @TrevorS!

Thanks for the input. That gave me some good inspiration. I had meanwhile solved the problem with the help of a support employee using a batch macro. Somehow it worked better then 😉

Kind regards

Mike

Labels