Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Environment Variables For Input tool

danloz
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Super simple problem.  I had to resurrect an old desktop project.  I had taken out of my workspace, zipped it, jammed it somewhere for storage in hopes of never having to think about it again.  A year later I needed to be able to run it.  The trouble is though, I had created another  project in a directory with the same name, so when I brought it back, I had to go through and change all the input tools to point through to a new directory.  

It's really not the end of the world.  but in the event that this should occur again, is there a way to make the path on the input tool more dynamic.  Like [this_workflow_directory]/data/myinputfile.csv] or something?  

I've googled through the forums, checked tool mastery and haven't seen anything that looks to apply to what i'm trying to do.  I did see something in the InputTool example that shows the path as "..\..\..\data\OneToolData\State Populations.csv" but I don't recognize that ..\ thing.  

2 REPLIES 2
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @danloz ,

I would suggest building your projects with a proper structure, meaning a main folder which contains inside everything the workflow needs to run.

Create that master folder and put the workflows in there. Then create a sub-folder in that master folder for Inputs, Outputs, Macros and any supporting material. Then open your workflow and re-point all inputs and outputs to read/write to the inputs and output subfolders you have created earlier.

Last step before you save your workflow, is to change the workflow dependencies.

Screenshot 2021-01-23 163332.jpg

In the window that will pop-up, select all relative

Screenshot 2021-01-23 163423.jpg

Now, if you want to move the project, you can zip it or move it as a whole. Everything will remain intact in your workflow and you would be able to run it by any device in the future.

Hope that helps,

Angelos

danloz
8 - Asteroid

Thanks.  I had no idea that was there and that is exactly what I am looking for.  

Labels