Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Enter Input to a Custom Connector to Download Data in a loop

AniK
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am trying to create a macro which inputs text in a Custom Connector. I have an excel file which has 10 Binder ID's which needs to be inserted in below text box marked in red to download the tables one by one .  Macro should get Binder ID from excel file and Input into Binder ID field -> Run the workflow -> Download the table data -> Again input the 2nd Binder ID -> Run Workflow -> Download table data and process goes on until all binder ids are inserted and all tables are downloaded to excel file. I would appreciate it if you if you can send me a sample workflow.

Pic1 Binder.png

Binder ID Excel file:

pic 2 bin.JPG

4 REPLIES 4
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @AniK 

You do this the same way as you would for any other type of tool.  It's difficult to give you a specific example, since you building a custom connector, but here's the basics of how you'd build a batch macro using the Azure Data Lake File Input connector

Macro.png

Attach a Control Parameter or other input tool to your connector.  In the config of the Action tool, specify the Attribute that you want to update

a.png

You put the macro in a calling workflow and pass the Bin Numbers to the control parameter.  Each iteration of the macro, the Bin number gets updated in the connection tool.  Here's an Alteryx tutorial on build a batch macro 

Dan

AniK
7 - Meteor

Thanks @danilang. Can you let me know why we are using control parameter?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @AniK 

The sample I attached is just an example to show you how.  You'll need to build a macro that encapsulates your custom connector tool(check out the video for details), with the control parameter connected to the Lightning connector.  Configure the Action tool to change the bin number attribute.  The rest of the workflow will be the same as currently have except for the browse.  Replace this with a macro output tool to feed the results back out to your main(calling) workflow

A batch macro is set up to execute once for every row in the control parameter.  That's why you pass the bin numbers in to it. In your main workflow, read the bin numbers from the excel file and pass them to the control parameter of the macro.   When the workflow runs, the  bin numbers in your connector will be changed on each iteration.  the 1st iteration will take the 1st row of the bin numbers, 2nd will take the 2nd, etc.

Dan 

AniK
7 - Meteor

I got it thank you!

Labels