Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

End User Selects which fields from the select tool

johnnykoung
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Is it possible to prompt the user to select which fields to include in the output? I'm thinking there should be some sort of tool that connects to the select tool, but not sure what to use.

Thanks,

Johnny

11 REPLIES 11
benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @johnnykoung ,

With an app  user can select  columns .   A simple app is attached  as an example . After you open you have to run  as analytic app .

johnnykoung
8 - Asteroid

I wasn't able to open this in designer to see the workflow

benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @johnnykoung ,

I attached Alteryx export because  I could not attach app ( yxwz) . 

This link has details about how to export  and  open  Alteryx export files  .  

You can check  ' how to open  '  section .

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Export-Workflows-with-Attachments-A...

ELPC
8 - Asteroid

See the link below for some really good interactive lessons that will teach you how to create an analytic apps so that the users can select what fields to include in the outputs.  

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Creating%2...

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @johnnykoung 

If the error you're getting is "This workflow was created by a more recent version of Alteryx" then look in the directory where the package was extracted, and open the .yxwz file i.e  .\select\select.yxwz with Notepad.  Change the "2019.3" in the second line from 

<AlteryxDocument yxmdVer="2019.3">  to match your version of alteryx 

Dan

johnnykoung
8 - Asteroid

I fixed the version issue, but now I'm running into another error that says Input String was not in a correct format

benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @johnnykoung ,

Can you share  the  wf  with sample data   ?

johnnykoung
8 - Asteroid

Hi Bolide,

Here's the sample workflow. I'm trying to have a user select the columns that should be used.

Thanks,

Johnny

benakesh
12 - Quasar

Hi @johnnykoung ,

The zip file  has  app and word doc  with tool configurations . 

1)  List box   :  select tool mode  and  is connected  to input  ( text input) 

2)  Action :  update select with multi -select list box 

To view results while testing  try this : view -> interface  designer  -> on success  show results to user  -> select browse tool 

Labels