Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Enable user to edit and update records (almost equivalent to "writeback")

Hello All

A big thank you to the wonderful Alteryx community for the great support.

I have this question that would be grateful to get help for.

Here is a toy data of transaction records which get generated by Workflow1. These are records which have failed some business logic checks. Workflow1 generates them by importing source data, running checks and then writing excel output of these records. Output includes an empty column called “Reviewer Comments”.

RecordID

Transaction

Code

Transaction

Date

Attribute_1

Attribute_2

Attribute_3

Test

Result

Reviewer

Comments

A111

15/05/2019

Exception

A112

28/05/2019

Exception

A113

28/05/2019

Exception

Now, user has to review these records and then provide comments in the “Reviewer Comments” column. After user’s data entry, these comments have to get updated to the same excel file.

I created Workflow2 (screenshot below)  to do this using a text input tool  – but as you can see one has to run Workflow2 twice –first to enable the text input tool (so that the editing can be done), and then again to make sure the text input tool’s data (which would have the user comments) is updated back to the excel file.

Capture.PNG

Is there a better or correct way to accomplish this?

Thank you...

5 REPLIES 5
RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi there

Why don't you turn this workflow into an analytical app by using the Interface tools to allow the user to enter their review comments?

They then do this first and then the workflow would run.

Have a go and if required I can build a sample workflow for you showing this?

Thank you for the suggestion.

I will try as you suggested and let  you know.

Hello RishiK

I have not been able to work out a solution using interface tools. 

I am not yet familiar with interface tools (learning it and looking at them over the past two days)

Could you help with a sample workflow , if that's okay

Regards

Sudha

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Sudha

Attached are 2 sample solutions.  Open both in Alteryx Designer. To run as an app in Designer, click on the "Run as Analytic App" to the left of the Run icon (if you're using the latest version of Designer)

Update_per_RecordID - allows you to update each row with a new review comment at a time.  You need to run this once so that the App gets the RecordIDs for you to select.

Updates_as_Once - allows you to enter multiple RecordID values and the new Review Comments for each row (delimitered with a new line each time).  This will then go and update the file.

RishiK
Alteryx
Alteryx

You will need to replace the Excel sheet in the workflow with your one

Labels