Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Embedded Newlines

amanda
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all!

I have 26 fields in my file and I want to remove embedded newlines from all of them. Currently I am selecting each field and text to columns by \n and then selecting the first field the text to columns creates. Is there a way to do this in 1 tool for all fields so I don't have to do 26 times? I tried a multi field formula with REGEX_Replace([_CurrentField_], "\n", "") and it is still outputting with newlines detected. 

7 REPLIES 7
PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

What about if you replace the "\n" with a literal new line? That is,

REGEX_Replace([_CurrentField_], "
", "") 

Or I think the Cleanse Tool can get rid of line breaks.

amanda
6 - Meteoroid

That did not work, still getting newlines detected in data on output. 

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hmmm.. the Cleanse Tool should do the job. Are you able to share an excerpt of the data with embedded new lines?

amanda
6 - Meteoroid

Looks like if I do the Cleanse and check the one that has Leading, trailing and duplicate white space it seems to remove theoutput error. I will run on whole file and make sure. Thanks!

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @amanda , data cleanse tool will your right option to perform this operation of removing embedded new lines. You can follow this configuration and I hope you will achieve your desired output. Please refer to the screenshot.

grazitti_sapna_0-1606376675252.png

If this helps, kindly mark this post as solution.

Thanks.

Sapna Gupta
FRANCISCO78
5 - Atom

I tried this for a similar issue and it worked. Thanks!.

kurshumovzlatin
5 - Atom
Spoiler

My solution 

Labels