Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Alteryx is here to help you solve your biggest data challenges. Read about the new Virtual Solution Center here.

Embed Field Settings in Workflow

Highlighted
5 - Atom

I am working with a number of fixed width field ASCII text files. When importing the files I select the radio button to "Embed Field Settings in Workflow." However the next time I use that workflow with a different file (with the same field widths) it does not read the file and set the field widths as I previously set up. Is there a setting I am missing or must I export the field settings into a .flat file and import then with every new file?

Highlighted
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi,

I don't use Flat file inputs often enough where i'm looking at different files, but here's a recommendation that might work for what you're trying to do.

If you use a Dynamic Input tool instead of a regular Input, you can set the template up to use the right file, and use an input from a text input or something like that to point to the file you want to read in.

This should use your template on whichever file.

If you have questions about this configuration I can throw together an example

Highlighted
5 - Atom

Thanks Claje. I will try using the Dynamic Input tool to see if that will hold the (for lack of better term) parsing instructions within the workflow. Right now I have to import the "Parsing Instructions" file every time I run the workflow on a new file. Since I set up the parsing instructions file, it is an easy process. It just has to be done manually rather than being done automatically. Which is what I plan to do with this workflow.

Since I am a newbie with Alteryx, an example will be helpful.

Labels