Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Embed Excel file with data in a workflow

GuyMarcel
5 - Atom

I am running a workflow that pulls data from multiple tables in the data warehouse and connect the result to a savings rate excel file on my desktop to calculate the savings. Is there a way i can save or embed permanently that Excel file in the workflow and cut off the connection to my desktop?

Thanks,

Guy

7 REPLIES 7
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

If the Excel file you'd like to embed is small enough (less than 1,000 cells): a Text Input tool can be used for this. The Text Input tool has an Import feature. Click on this icon and browse to your desktop file.

TxtInputBrowse.png

GuyMarcel
5 - Atom

Thank you CharlieS for the swift reply. I will use this going forward for short files. the current one is has 2400 rows. Any other solution for large file?  I am using Tableau server and I can output to that server but can't find a way to input from it.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It might not be an elegant solution, but you could use multiple Text Input tools and Union them together to re-create that static input.

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@CharlieS,

How about having 1 workflow that creates the static input and stores it as a YXDB file (stored where other jobs can access the data) and referencing that static information?  The idea of hard-coding that data into the workflow is going to keep me awake tonight.

Cheers,
Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@MarqueeCrew

I totally agree, especially if there's any need to facilitate the production of that master file. Alteryx all the things!

I should mention that multiple Text Input files are not completely necessary as the 1,000 cell limit is only on the importing of data to the tool. I have text input tools with a lot more than 1,000 cells of data. You have to compile them manually/XML edit, but they save just fine. 

Bigmonki
8 - Asteroid

@CharlieS Brilliant, I have been trying to figure out how to do this for ages. Thanks for the tip

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

@GuyMarcel 

I agree with what has been states in this thread previously: with both @CharlieS  on using the text input tool and with @MarqueeCrew on possible nightmare scenarios.

Please consider marking an answer as an accepted solution so others may instantly find the answer upon opening this thread.

Best,

Roland

Infotopics - Benelux partner of the year
Empowering business through analytics. See, Understand, Act!
Labels