Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Emails when using AMP Engine

IR_2021
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a workflow with the E-mail tool in it. When I do not use AMP Engine, Alteryx does not send an email if there is an error in the workflow. When I use AMP Engine, alteryx does send the mail.

Does anyone know how I can make sure that all emails are not sent until everything is ready?

Thanks in advance!

9 REPLIES 9
taylor_butler
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @IR_2021

My first thought is that since AMP engine uses multi-threaded processing, it may start processing the email tool before hitting the error in another portion of the workflow. If you want to force the workflow to wait until all other steps are taken before sending the email, I'd recommend placing a "Block Until Done" tool in your workflow prior to the Email tool. 

IR_2021
7 - Meteor

Hi Taylor,

Thanks for your reaction! Unfortunately, the mail will still be sent if there is an error message.

taylor_butler
Alteryx
Alteryx

@IR_2021 One other suggestion - do you have the setting "Cancel Running Workflow on Error" set within your Workflow Configuration panel?

taylor_butler_0-1660578843366.png

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

@IR_2021 

We are actively looking into this difference in behavior with AMP. 
This may be more of a difference in the way AMP handles errors in general and not specific to the Email Tool. We will investigate and let you know what we find. 
I'm interested to know if Taylor's suggestion to use the "Cancel running workflow on error" setting works or not. 
Thank you @taylor_butler for the suggestions! 

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
IR_2021
7 - Meteor

Hi all,

In the workflow below I have checked the 2 checkboxes. If there is now an error in flow 1, the workflow stops. If there is an error in flow 2 or 3, the mail is sent.

I think TonyaS is right and it has to do with how AMP handles errors. For some of my workflows I can move forward with taylor_butler's solution. Unfortunately not for some more. This will require a different solution.

alt.PNG

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

Update on this and the suggested workaround, I discovered that "Cancel running workflow on error" was never implemented with AMP Engine. We have added it to our roadmap to support this in a future release. 

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
IR_2021
7 - Meteor

Thanks for the feedback TonyaS!

IR_2021
7 - Meteor

Hi TonyaS,

Is there known for when this is on the roadmap?

harsh_alang
Alteryx
Alteryx

This one is still on our Roadmap, it may potentially be delivered in 23.2. 

HarshA
Labels