Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Emailing Dynamic Excel File - Recover File & File Format or File Extension Not Valid

Highlighted

Hello Everyone,

I am running a query that outputs to excel, splitting by a column, and appending the date to the end of the file.  I figured out how to separate the sheets and add the date to the sheet here.  It saves to the network location correctly, and I am able to open it from there, but when I open it from the email, I get the error messages in picture 1 & 2. 

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong? @MarqueeCrew you helped me previously and in another thread I was reading, or @JosephSerpis from helping get me this far with the excel naming!

zacharypappas_0-1578945704978.png

zacharypappas_1-1578945981541.png

Preview of my workflow:

zacharypappas_7-1578946404648.png

How I am creating the path to write to and email:

zacharypappas_3-1578946136708.png

zacharypappas_4-1578946270874.png

zacharypappas_5-1578946283875.png

And the email:

zacharypappas_6-1578946309097.png

Highlighted
Alteryx
Alteryx

In your "EmailFile" formula it looks like you only have one | between the file name and sheet name when you should have three like |||

Do you think that this might be the issue?

Highlighted

I changed it to three (|||), and unfortunately that did not help.  I am still receiving the same error when attempting to open it from the Email, but is perfect from the Network location

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @zacharypappas can you change the Output Option from Create New Sheet to Overwrite Sheet (Drop) and see if that returns the same error? Could you also consider changing the file to a .csv to see if you have the same issue as well please?

@JosephSerpisI tried changing it to Overwrite Sheet (Drop) and it resulted in the same issue.  I previously had it as a CSV, and it worked fine, but was requested to be spit by a column in the data (sales rep), and CSV's do not support multi-sheet, or else I would do that.

Thank you,

Zach

Highlighted

Hi @zacharypappas how long is the Sales Rep column as excel has a limit of the names for tabs are you possibly exceeding that limit?

Highlighted

@JosephSerpisthere are 23 sales reps (worksheets), and the longest name is 18 characters

Labels