Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Email tool to send attachment sending multiple emails

cowannbell
9 - Comet

I have a workflow that outputs a excel file and I'm trying to use the email tool to send that attachment to an recipient.

I have a field in the file that has a formula for the attachment location.

I want to save the file to a share drive and then I want to email that file.

It keeps sending an email multiple times based on the numbers of rows in the file.

I have read prior discussions on this but can't seem to figure out the correct process.

Here is the last part of my workflow.  The email tool is configured to send the attachment based on the attachment field which is the formula for the location of the attachment.

Just trying to figure out how to get it to send only one email.

Thanks,

cowannbell_0-1630415935092.png

15 REPLIES 15
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @cowannbell 

Please use a summarize tool groupby on location. This way it creates a single row and only one mail will be sent.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1630416623927.png

Hope this helps : )

cowannbell
9 - Comet

I added the summarize tool and grouped on the file location field but it didn't send any email.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @cowannbell 

Can you share email tool config snapshot.

cowannbell
9 - Comet

I changed some info for privacy reason but other than that, this is what it looks like.

cowannbell_0-1630428521033.png

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @cowannbell 

Are you getting single row with filename from summarize tool to email tool.

Are you getting any error?

cowannbell
9 - Comet

Yes, just the one row with just the filename field. No error.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @cowannbell 

Can you share the result messages log after workflow run.

cowannbell
9 - Comet

It says it sent 1 email sent.  It finally came through.  Now one last question.  The file attachment does not have the name of the file it has another name like ATT18179.  How can I fix that?

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @cowannbell 

You are passing required file path + file name as file location parameter to email tool right?

Are you getting a different name than passed?

Labels