Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Email tool - handling bad addresses gracefully?

JasonTrippet
7 - Meteor

I've got a workflow that takes an input table, does some prep, and uses the Render tool to build a customized message for the body of the email, so each recipient (one per row) gets a personalized message, and it works great - when all the email addresses are good.  The issue I'm having is that when even just 1 email address turns out to be "bad" (using my company's SMTP, so I'm assuming that Alteryx is doing an Address Book check before trying to send), the workflow halts and zero emails get sent, not even for the rows with good addresses (whether before or after the bad one's position in the table).

Is there a way to have the Email tool handle that gracefully, and successfully send the emails that it *can* send, and perhaps just post (or collect somehow) warnings about the bad ones that it was unable to send?

Thanks!

Jason

14 REPLIES 14
JasonTrippet
7 - Meteor

Works perfectly @Thableaus , thanks again!

alison
7 - Meteor

Hi! I know you found a workaround to your problem, but I am encountering a similar issue and am hung up on the "why". Have you seen any insight to the process of Alteryx checking the address book? I'm trying to figure out exactly where the validation point happens as I'm getting error messages for DLs that are valid, but don't show up in all global address books.

Thanks!

JasonTrippet
7 - Meteor

To be honest I haven't revisited the email function since I posted, and hadn't looked into it further.  I assumed that using my company's SMTP was driving Alteryx to check those internal address books, and if an address couldn't be found in them, it failed.  I just did a quick test with a personal email address of mine, and confirmed - even though the address is valid, real, and good, the workflow failed because it's not in my company's SMTP address book.  I don't know if there's a way to use an external provider's SMTP that wouldn't require an address book check.  Sorry it's not very helpful!

Jason

alison
7 - Meteor

I appreciate hearing your experience on the matter, in any case, so thank you for responding.

My issue is that I'm not sure which address book alteryx might be checking. I know there is a "Global Address Book" and an "Offline Global Address Book" and I'm sure there are others...all of our internal addresses don't show up in all of them. Hopefully I'll stumble upon someone who can tell me where to look to find out!

OnTheFly
5 - Atom

just came across this solution and feel that I am going to run into the same issue. do you happen to have an example workflow/macro to share or the best place to go learn this? 

Labels