Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Email tool: Use multiple fields to send emails to multiple groups of people

Metabrit
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I'm currently building a tool that needs to send emails to different groups in the business based on a condition, the condition being what percentage of a limit someone has exceeded.

Say I had 4 groups of people which each have their own field in the data containing email addresses, group 1, group 2, group 3 and group 4.

The groups have a hierarchy so a member of group 2 could manage multiple people in group 1, group 3 could manage multiple people in group 2 ect.

I want to be able to send emails to group 1 and group 2 using their fields and CC group 3 and group 4.

Currently, you can only use 1 field as the To and CC in the email tool as shown below.

I could join run a unique on each field and join the group fields together but this could cause the members in the higher groups to receive multiple emails and the people who receive the emails won't be able to see everyone the email was sent to and were put on CC.

I'd like to know if there is a way for the email tool to send emails to multiple groups/fields so that when they see the email they can also see everyone who was sent that email.

e.g. Subject: You have exceeded the limit

To: Person 1, Person 2
        CC: Person 3, Person 4

I've attached a workflow to use as an example for a solution. Any help is appreciated!

Capture2.PNG

7 REPLIES 7
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I've checked your sample data but it's difficult to truly understand the complexities you have outlined given the sample data provided. 

Could you make a more relevant sample dataset which includes an example's of the 'conditions' that must be breached to send the email.

Ben

Metabrit
7 - Meteor

Hi Ben,

Thanks for your response,

Apologies for the workflow, here's a better example of what I'm aiming to achieve.

Essentially, the condition is attributed to a field called "Escalation level" which is calculated by...

• 0 = below 75% of their limit
  • 1 = Above 75% of their limit
  • 2 = Above 90% of their limit
  • 3 = Reached 100% of their limit
  • 4 = Exceeded their limit

Then for the email tool...

• If escalation level 1 then email Group 1 with Group 2 and 3 on CC
  • If escalation level 2 then email Group 1 and Group 2 with Group 3 on CC
  • If escalation level 3 then email Group 2 and Group 3 with Group 1 and 4 on CC
  • If escalation level 4 then email Group 4 with all Groups 1, 2 and 3 on copy
Metabrit
7 - Meteor

Hi Ben,

Hope the workflow helped explain the issue.

Do you know how I might achieve this?

danrh
13 - Pulsar

You should be able to separate email addresses within a single field by comma, space, or semicolon and have a single email go out to all the parties in the list.  See the last line of the Email tool help page:

https://help.alteryx.com/11.3/Email.htm

If you are manually inputting the email addresses into a Formula tool (how you had it setup in your example workflows) just comma separate in the formula and you should be good to go.  If the groups are listed out in a single column, use a Summarize tool and concatenate using a comma separator.  Reach out if you'd like help with this portion.

Good luck!

image.png

Metabrit
7 - Meteor

Thanks a bunch danrh!

Looks like I missed that last line in the help section

danrh
13 - Pulsar

You bet.  Glad I could help!

bredder30
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Danrh - I was wondering if you could help me out with this part? " If the groups are listed out in a single column, use a Summarize tool and concatenate using a comma separator"

Labels