Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Email not sending due to fake Warning from Download Tool

trevorwightman
8 - Asteroid

Hi All, for the last two years I have been posting CSV files to an FTP via the download tool. It has always returned a fake warning even though the file gets posted everytime without issue. Farther down the workflow I have an email tool letting the team know that the job has finished.

I just updated Alteryx Designer to the newest version and now the email tool will not send an email due to warnings within the workflow. Therefore, I either need to:

1. Eliminate the warning such that the Email Tool can send an email as it normally would OR

2. Reconfigure some setting on the Email Tool/Canvas such that the Email Tool can send an email as it normall would

I've attached images of my settings within the Download Tool, the input and output of the Download Tool as well as the errors within the workflow.

My main goal is to be able to send emails again.

Thank you!

trevorwightman_0-1652393585031.png

trevorwightman_1-1652393598035.png

3 REPLIES 3
rfoster7
9 - Comet

Do you have "Cancel running workflow on error" checked? Is that why it doesn't send the email? Can you uncheck it?

rfoster7_0-1652395862804.png

Otherwise I don't know why it wouldn't send the email even with the error. 

Another option is, instead of using an email tool, look at the Events under Workflow - Configuration. There is a "send email" even you can set up to run after run, after run with errors, after run without errors, etc. You could try using that even to send the email and see if it sends if you choose "after run with errors" 

trevorwightman
8 - Asteroid

@rfoster7 I do not have that option selected. Additionally, I do have an Event set up to send an email after a workflow with errors, however I don't think I can use this because I used fields from the workflow to populate the email.

In the previous version of Alteryx the Email would not send if there was an Error but it would still send if there was a warning. With this new version of Alteryx it won't even send with the error (this is why the Email Tool throws an additional error saying it didn't send an email).

trevorwightman_0-1652404603391.png

trevorwightman
8 - Asteroid

EDIT: The below does not work. Even though the below removes the fake error from the download tool it still prevents the workflow from sending an email. Help?

With out out of the box thinking, I figured out a solution to the problem. Since everything works perfectly except for the fake error that prevents me from sending an email I just embedded the download tool within a macro which means that error was now longer output.

My original workflow which produced the error message:

trevorwightman_0-1652456212544.png

My new workflow that no longer produces the error message:

trevorwightman_1-1652456259386.png

Labels