Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Email Tool to send email even of error

NidhiAg
7 - Meteor

I have a workflow which produces a result table and then update that result in TFS and then send email with same result.

What issue i am having is sometime TFS is failing and because of that even email is not sent with warning

No Messages were sent because the workflow has an error.

Now what i want is it should send email even though TFS fails. As they both are parallel process.

Some tricks i tried:

1) Block until done: attach sending email in 1 and update TFS in 2. But it goes right before "Email" Tool and then cont to 2 and then doesn't send email if 2 fails

2) Container but still doesnt work.

Can anyone please help me with this.

6 REPLIES 6
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Perhaps you could configure an event email to send "After run with errors" for just this case. Here's an example for Events emails:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/Email-Events-to-notify-on-Start-or-... 

NidhiAg
7 - Meteor

I did tried this solution but I have a table that is generated from workflow to send in the email body and some other HTML content. I dont know how to put in those using this option.

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@NidhiAg wrote:

I did tried this solution but I have a table that is generated from workflow to send in the email body and some other HTML content. I dont know how to put in those using this option.

The idea for the error event email is to just have an email-based response in those scenarios. You won't be able to include html/reporting content for this email, but it is possible to pass some data.

Note that in the Event email, there's an "%OutputLog%" parameter that will output the workflow log in the email body. You can Inject data values from the workflow into the workflow log by using the Message( function in formula expressions. This isn't a complete substitute (and could get messy depending on the amount of data you'd like in the log) but passing some data along could be useful to diagnose the situation. 

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @NidhiAg 

Email tools always run last in the workflow, even if a block until done is used.  

You can set configuration of your workflow to Not stop if you get an error

c.png

This way your email tool will run even if the TFS output doesn't succeed.  

Caution:  With this set, you may get emails with invalid data, since errors other than the TFS output will be ignored as well.

Dan

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @NidhiAg 

It looks like the technique in the post above email handles errors generated by message tools and the like, but not errors that would result from missing fields that would have an impact on the configuration of downstream tools such as a missing Group By field in a Summarize tool. In this case the email tool won't send an email, even if it's not directly affected by the error. 

One way around this is to write the intermediate results to a file like %temp%\snapshot.CSV.  You can then attach this file to an event email that is triggered "after run with Errors"

Dan

sairamchandmendu
5 - Atom

I have a similar problem.

I am using a test tool to check the data quality

When the data quality is good or bad, we want to receive an email with a layout format to see the difference in the data and where the issue is.

But this always runs the test tool first and then fails after it fails.
The mail tool is not taking the precision over the test tool. How can I fix this?

sairamchandmendu_0-1679060609762.png

Labels