Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Email Tool - Send Single Email

cwoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi

I created a workflow to create an excel output with multiple tabs and many records within each tab and I am trying to send a single email for this file. 

I do know that I have to pass only one record through the Email Tool to get it to work but I don't know how to group my data into one since if I use the summarize tool, I would have to group by multiple fields. I also saw that you can create a table and group the whole table as one record and send it but I want to keep the file type as excel.

Anyone have thoughts on what tool I can use for this? 

4 REPLIES 4
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cwoo what I've done previously in these situations is have a sample tool before the email tool to ensure only one email is sent. The data I output using the Output Data Tool and include as an attachment in the email tool. 

cwoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JosephSerpis 

Thank you for the quick response. How should I use the Sample Tool? Can I allow as many records (i.e N=1000) and Group by a field with one data point (i.e. Quarter)? Will that send just one email? 

Thanks, 

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cwoo I usually set N=1 so in any situation only one record is sent through to the email tool. However depends on your use case if you are emailing different people based on a criteria you would need to ensure only 1 record based on the criteria is sent to the email tool which will involve probably using the group by column 1 function in the sample tool. However you could do this many other ways in alteryx. 

cwoo
8 - Asteroid

@JosephSerpis Thank you for your help! It worked!

Labels