Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Email Tool - Send Single Email

cwoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi

I created a workflow to create an excel output with multiple tabs and many records within each tab and I am trying to send a single email for this file. 

I do know that I have to pass only one record through the Email Tool to get it to work but I don't know how to group my data into one since if I use the summarize tool, I would have to group by multiple fields. I also saw that you can create a table and group the whole table as one record and send it but I want to keep the file type as excel.

Anyone have thoughts on what tool I can use for this? 

4 REPLIES 4
JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cwoo what I've done previously in these situations is have a sample tool before the email tool to ensure only one email is sent. The data I output using the Output Data Tool and include as an attachment in the email tool. 

cwoo
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JosephSerpis 

Thank you for the quick response. How should I use the Sample Tool? Can I allow as many records (i.e N=1000) and Group by a field with one data point (i.e. Quarter)? Will that send just one email? 

Thanks, 

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cwoo I usually set N=1 so in any situation only one record is sent through to the email tool. However depends on your use case if you are emailing different people based on a criteria you would need to ensure only 1 record based on the criteria is sent to the email tool which will involve probably using the group by column 1 function in the sample tool. However you could do this many other ways in alteryx. 

cwoo
8 - Asteroid

@JosephSerpis Thank you for your help! It worked!

Labels