Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Email Tool - Login Denied due to Microsoft Authentication Change

trevorwightman
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

With the recent Microsoft authentication change I have noticed that the email tool will no longer send emails. Is there a way to use this tool using modern authentication rather than legacy authentication?

trevorwightman_0-1649790592576.png

5 REPLIES 5
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

The email tool only accepts the authentication methods listed there. Please contact your IT team to help you figure out a way.

trevorwightman
8 - Asteroid

That is correct. Our IT team is starting the process of disabling the SMTP authentication method due to Microsoft depreciating Basic Authentication (see link below). As a result, I need to look for an alternative method to send out emails via Alteryx. My IT team suggested I look to see if Alteryx can do this using Modern Authentication (OAuth 2.0 token-based authorization).

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/deprecation-of-basic...

DavidL2
5 - Atom

I'm surprised there's not much more interest around this - it would be great if Designer supported the modern authentication. I suspect a lot of corporate office365 users will have problems when this change is implemented by Microsoft later this year.

Bigum
6 - Meteoroid

This should be the highest priority from Alteryx to fix, it's not only the email tool but also the 'events' tab that is switching from important core functionality to basically useless functionality. This will hit a lot of users, they just don't know yet

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

@trevorwightman I had the same problem here, my lucky was that on our Alteryx Server i can use the bellow configuration to send emails. This basically saved my life. If you have Alteryx Server you can try this or contact your Alteryx Server/Microsoft IT team team to talk about it.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1664796901908.png

OBS: This problem is affecting the sharepoint lists input/output tool too (and probably all microsoft connectors). If someone is interested, for sharepoint you can solve the problem creating a client id and client secret for the sharepoint site following the steps on the link bellow, which will allow you to access the sharepoint site/list using the App Only Authentication method. 

Re: Connecting Sharepoint 365 - Alteryx Community

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1664797279573.png

I agree with @Bigum , for me this is a top tier problem, losing connection with microsoft products is not something that you can just accept as normal

Labels