Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Email Tool - Creating a Batch Macro to Pass Thru One Email At a Time

kkkim
8 - Asteroid

Hi, Team:

I need to include a layout as Email body and pass through one email at a time so if there are undeliverable emails, it will not disrupt the entire workflow (meaning, I would want emails with correct addresses to be sent out and only the undeliverable emails to error).

Any idea on how to accomplish this? Your guidance on how to create this batch macro would be much appreciated!

Attaching my workflow (without the batch macro) below.

Thank you!!!

9 REPLIES 9
gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hey @kkkim 

The good thing is that you shouldn't need a batch macro to do this! 

The email tool sends one email per row that is passed into the tool. Therefore, you simply need to create fields (as columns) with the email addresses you are looking to contact. Using the group by functionality in the table tool and layout tool, you could group your data on the basis of the email the data needs to be sent to. 

Hope this helps!

saiirangam
8 - Asteroid

This should help you, create a batch macro to send emails one by One from the list 

Solved: Creating a Batch Macro to email multiple users dif... - Alteryx Community

Let me know if you need more clarification.

Sai

kkkim
8 - Asteroid

@gautiergodard  Hello! Thanks for your feedback - yes this is how I set it up right now. However, when there is one undeliverable email address, the entire list of emails in the table does not get sent out. So trying to create a batch macro so the rest of the emails will get sent out and only the wrong email address will be held back.

Thank you!

kkkim
8 - Asteroid

@saiirangam - I've reviewed the post. Where does the Sum tool actually go? Do you have an example workflow using reporting tool and concatenate email address (via Sum Tool)?

Thank you so much!!!

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Hello @kkkim 

I just replicated this in my local environment and do not receive an error from Alteryx if an invalid email is entered. 

The workflow will run, and simply send emails to the valid email address. For example:

gautiergodard_0-1667397556797.png

Table tool feeds the email tool these values - in this case the first value is a bad value and the second is my email. I just the email column in my email tool:

gautiergodard_1-1667397618276.png

gautiergodard_3-1667397754660.png

If you are sending the email from your personal email box, you should get an undeliverable email response to your personal box... however the emails to the valid emails will still be generated.

gautiergodard_2-1667397712744.png

saiirangam
8 - Asteroid

@kkkim  

We have step by Step for creating the batch macro, meanwhile I have created sample batch macro for this scenario

Solved: Email tool - handling bad addresses gracefully? - Alteryx Community

kkkim
8 - Asteroid

@saiirangam thanks so much for this. Does this macro only work if input is a text file? Because the email addresses are one of the columns in the table? How do we use this macro with input being layout tool or table?

Thanks again!!!

saiirangam
8 - Asteroid

Nope, you have to connect the macro to the end of the WF where you are connecting the email tool right now

saiirangam
8 - Asteroid

@kkkim   Please click on the, Accept the solution if this is solved

Labels