Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Email Report to Multiple Recipients -

Sidey1978
8 - Asteroid

Hi all

I have a report which I now would like to automatically email to the appropriate recipients.

Ideally I would like recipient to only see the data for which the are the owner - owner is a field within the data.

I have searched and read various topics on this but so far haven't had any success making it work.

I have attached a sample of my data. Could anyone please point me in the right direction?

Thanks! 

16 REPLIES 16
grossal
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @Sidey1978,

I'd use a Batch Macro here. You'll need a simple two step process like this:

grossal_0-1590049040361.png

The Summarize Tool gives you a list of all Owners: 

grossal_1-1590049067026.png

You can than use this list as a control parameter in your Macro:

grossal_2-1590049087528.png

The Macro will first filter all the data to "Joe Bloggs" and than to "John Smith" - both in separate iterations. This will allow you to send each person only the data they need.

I have attached the workflow and macro for you to check out. Let me know if this solved your problem.

Best

Alex

Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

Hi @Sidey1978 

You will need to generate a separate file for each recipient, then you can attach a separate file for each person.

First, you need to generate a file path for your attachments as a text field. Remember to add "|||Sheetname$" at the end.

Hannah_Lissaman_0-1590049145959.png

Then you can use this in an output tool to generate separate Excel files for each.

Hannah_Lissaman_1-1590049187821.png

Finally, you can use the filepath again in your email tool to attach the files you have generated to the emails to their corresponding person.

Hannah_Lissaman_2-1590049275486.png

I also used a Block Until Done tool to make sure the files were all generated before the email tool started to work.

My example workflow is attached.

Sidey1978
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Hannah_Lissaman 

Thanks for your help. I've downloaded and tried the workflow. However, the email tool is giving me an error - "The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect. (123)". Any idea what might be causing that?

Thanks!

Jonathan

Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

Hi @Sidey1978 

My mistake! Obviously we don't need to specify the sheet name when we are attaching a whole file. The sheet name is needed when we create the file, but we then need to trim it back off again before we connect to the email tool. 

I used a Formula tool with Left([Output Filepath], FindString([Output Filepath], "|")) to remove it. 

While testing I also realised that we need to consolidate down to just one row per person we want to email. I used a Summarize tool to keep just one row per person to avoid sending them multiple emails. 

Updated workflow attached. 

Sidey1978
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Hannah_Lissaman 

Thats brilliant! Thank you so much for your help with this 🙂

Cheers

Sidey1978
8 - Asteroid

Hi @Hannah_Lissaman 

Side note to this issue, is there any way to output the report to PDF? The output contains a URL which isn't functional by default when outputting the report to .xlsx. I have tried to change the report options but pdf wasn't a choice?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

cheers

Jonathan 

Hannah_Lissaman
11 - Bolide

Hi @Sidey1978 

To create a PDF report you will need to build this using the reporting tools - I would recommend looking through the relevant training materials for how to get started: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/tkb-p/interactive-lessons/label-name/Reporting%...

txjohnnypops79
8 - Asteroid

Life saver! Will you marry me please?  hahaha

nice!!

txjohnnypops79
8 - Asteroid

Hi Hannah, your solution worked but i have three records in a file and its one file but its sending it three times, do you know how to fix this??

thanks in advance

-Johnny

Labels