Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Email Attachment exceeds allowable limit

Julie_7wayek
7 - Meteor

Hello all, 

I am trying to attach an excel file that exceeds the allowable size limit that the email tool in Alteryx allows. Has anyone tried to this with a Batch file through the Run Command Tool in Alteryx, or is there any other way to bypass this?

I am currently working on downloading this SendEmail function from this website, a suggestion that was made to me by Alteryx Support:

http://caspian.dotconf.net/menu/Software/SendEmail/sendEmail-v156-notls.zip

Then I am going to use a script and the Run Command tool to test this, but wanted to see if anyone has tried it before, or if anyone has any suggestions for me.

I will keep everyone posted. Thanks,

Julie

4 REPLIES 4
dataMack
12 - Quasar

Not sure about that program you linked to, but if you need to distribute large files, I'd consider other possibilities.  E-mail is not a good file distribution system for many reasons.

Some options come to mind are:

1. write the file to a shared drive

2. write the file to a Sharepoint site

3. write the data to a BI platform that already handles report scheduling and distribution

Any of these would likely be better than trying to push large files over e-mail.  You'd also get better access control and versioning capabilities with any of them.  Plus your e-mail admins will thank you for not clogging up their exchange server with files.

Julie_7wayek
7 - Meteor

Hi Jason, 

Thank you for your reply. Alot of the files we distribute are written to a shared location, so I agree with you.

This one file in particular, I am only given two options for distribution: either to upload it to an FTP site or to send via email. The file itself isn't that large. It ranges from 12 to 15 mb. However, Alteryx has a 10 mb limit. Our exchange server limit is 25 mb, so I know it can be emailed without a problem. The long term solution for distribution is definitely your number 3 option, which BI is working on. However, in the meantime, this will be an interim solution of sending the file, and I wanted this iterim solution to be automated through Alteryx.

Thank you,

Julie

dataMack
12 - Quasar

Well if it's a short-term 'hack', I would consider building a simple macro in Outlook to attach the files from a folder and send them for you.  Then you can call the outlook macro from the command line in Alteryx.  That way you're only subject to the 25MB limit.

Here's a primer on Outlook VBA macros:

http://www.slipstick.com/developer/macro-send-files-email/

and here's how to call it from the command line:

http://www.outlook-tips.net/how-to/using-outlook-command-lines/

Julie_7wayek
7 - Meteor

Jason,

Thank you for your suggestions. I will look into this solution. Hopefully I'll be able to run a macro in Outlook without a security issue. 

I will keep you posed. 

I appreciate your time!

Julie

Labels