Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Eliminate 'Warning: Input Data (1): There were multiple fields named ...'

SurferJim
7 - Meteor

Hello, thanks in advance for your help.

I am using Jira and the export file has multiple columns of the same header name.  I can't find a way to get around the Warning that multiple fields name in the input file  There was a post using the Dynamic Rename tool but it only works on the header but not the first row which contains the header name (at least my understanding).  Keep in mind that there can be any number of "Type" columns.

I will be transposing the data anyway so I was thinking of renaming the "Type" columns to  "Type" with number since there's no telling of how many "Type" columns the file will have.  After the transpose I no longer need the "Type" header

Input:

IDTitleTypeTypeTypeType
1Title1A   
2Title2AB  
3Title3BCDE

After Transpose:

IDNameValue
1Title1A
2Title2A
2Title2B
3Title3B
3Title3C
3Title3D
3Title3E
3 REPLIES 3
bcastro1991
6 - Meteoroid

Hello,

One thing you might be able to try, if on each import, the header is always on X row (for example, row 1 is a title of the export, then row 2 is your header names), you can update the Input tool config for "Start Data Import on Line" from 1 to 2, or whatever row your data starts on, then leverage the Dynamic Rename and doing your transposing after that. If you are using the Dynamic Input tool to open multiple files, your template you set up in that tool can also use this same configuration.

Let me know if this helps!

bcastro1991_0-1637363627533.png

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @SurferJim 

You can use something like this to eliminate the warnings and still give you the output you want

danilang_0-1637409749756.png

The Input tool is configured to treat the first row as data.  It then builds incremental field names without generating the warnings.  Follow this with a Dynamic Rename which configured to "Take field names from first row of data", but only for the first two columns.  Then Transpose and cleanup.  The results look like this with no warnings

danilang_1-1637410043735.png danilang_3-1637410156798.png

Note that this is using the standard Input Data connector.   I've never used the Jira Connector, so I don't know if there is a similar option to use the first row as data. 

Dan

SurferJim
7 - Meteor

Nice.  Thanks all.

Labels