Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Efficient retrieval of function definitions

soroosj
8 - Asteroid

When using the Formula Tool, I love how I can see individual function arguments by typing the function name in the configuration window.

That said, I am not always sure which function to use as some are named similarly. I know I can look up function definitions by clicking the question mark in the Formula Tool Configuration Window, then clicking the Functions hyperlink in the resulting Formula tool overview screen, then identifying the appropriate formula type (which requires trial and error) and then scrolling to find the function. This feels a bit unwieldy...is there a means to look up the function definition directly in the Formula Configuration window?

3 REPLIES 3
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@soroosj 

I hope I get you question right.

We can click the Fx icon to have all the formulated listed.

And when you type the formula. a filtered list will also be showing for you to choose from.

And at last, of course, more practice makes it all easier.

Untitled1A.pngUntitled1B.png

soroosj
8 - Asteroid

Thanks Qiu - I suspected there was an easier way to look up function definitions!

Hovering over the function name to view the definition works well. 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@soroo

Good to know as well. Thanks/

Labels