Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Editing a dataset

vchauhan011
7 - Meteor

Hi,

I have a dataset which looks like dataset below. And I want to make it similar to output below. Can anyone please help me?

thank you very much in advance. I really appreciate the help!!

(dataset) 

2019-11-10_18-15-09.png

(OutPut)

2019-11-10_18-16-58.png

5 REPLIES 5
TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This is a tough one to answer without understanding what you are trying to do. I have a workflow attached that populates the second column based on the info in the first three rows and then sets the last equal to the first. Is this what you have in mind?

KP_DML
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I did similar to @TonyA but used a join after splitting the lookup and data values.

TonyA
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

A join tool is equally good. When I have a small number of rows joining to a larger data set, I will tend to use Find-Replace. It has the added advantage of not sorting the data. In this case, it doesn't matter, but if the data was not sorted by the joining column and the sort order was important, then using join would require more work. By the way I noticed I had an inefficiency in my initial workflow -- I could have added both columns with the Find-Replace. I fixed that in the attached.

KP_DML
8 - Asteroid

Great info, @TonyA! Sometimes I need to break out of the DB-mindset and let the Alteryx do the work!

vchauhan011
7 - Meteor

Thank you very much    and @KP_DML. This worked perfectly. I really appreciate your quick responses!! 

Labels