Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Easiest question of the day, I imagine... ADD HEADER ROW ?

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

Still pretty new to Alteryx. Got to grips with some of the more complex features like Download tool and Predictive.

BUT...

How do I insert a Field Header row into data where there is none? Can't work out which tool to use. I know how to dynamically rename etc but not simple insertion of new header row.

TIA.

8 REPLIES 8
DavidThorpe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @CDunhill 

If i understand your question correctly, you're looking to insert a header row within the data, under the actual field headers like this:?

DavidThorpe_0-1575459405308.png

If so, using a text input to create the headers then using a union to merge it with the raw data would work (please see attached example workflow)

You'll notice as the union is set to append by name, it will add a new field with null data if the header input exists and the data input does not.

If this has resolved your problem, please mark it as solved - otherwise please let me know!

Thanks 

David

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Thanks... kind of this, yes. I can then use the Dynamic Rename to take the first row as the header name.

However, because the data is headerless to begin with Alteryx has been taking the first row of data as the header. Now when I use your technique + Dynamic Rename I end up losing that first row of data which was previously the header.

I've attached an example. I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here!

DavidThorpe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Got you!

To confirm, you want the headers in row 1, not in the header row itself?

Please see the attached and validate if it's what you were after.

Thanks

CDunhill
8 - Asteroid

Thank you again. I think I've worked out the solution... my source data is a CSV file (omitted in my attachment).

I just saw the setting First Row Contains Field Names in the Input tool and I think that will solve it Alteryx will then assign automatic field names, which can then be changed using your initial method without losing the first row of data!

Your latest suggestion did still lose that first row (record 186551). I also DO want the headers as actual field names (sorry if that wasn't clear).

But, thank you - your first Union method is just what I needed, in combination with the aforementioned Input configuration.

DavidThorpe
Alteryx
Alteryx

Perfect! We got there in the end - thanks @CDunhill!

DD
7 - Meteor

Hi @CDunhill

Am looking for the solution exactly the same as you needed, issue is i wanted to add a new header under each column on top of the existing header.

For instance, like the below- Have already populated on the run security and dates, need to add the highlighted data on top of dates.

DD_0-1666117540072.png

I know this post is pretty old, please can someone help on this issue. 

DD
7 - Meteor

Sorry missed one point on the above, i need to export it as tableau extract so looking for solution without using reporting tool. 

lowkeyspglobal
7 - Meteor

I am assuming that you are using the Input Tool. If so, make sure to uncheck this section for Alteryx to create a header for your dataset. You can then change the header name using Select tool. I hope this helps.

Capture.JPG

Labels