Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

EXCEL DATE FORMAT USING TABLE AND RENDER TOOLS

kdjhndy
5 - Atom

Hi and Greetings,

I am using Table and Render to create a report with formatting without changing the original data type. The issue is that when the report comes out, all the dates data will be formatted as numbers instead of Date data type. How do I output Date values to Excel using Table and Render tools so that Excel recognizes the values as a proper Date format? (refer attached image below)

kdjhndy_0-1619578513256.png

The expected output is the format that I need using the Render tool but I cannot seem to figure out how to get this output format. Any ideas and recommendations are welcomed. 

Thank you in advance for your help!

5 REPLIES 5
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I believe that render/formatted data sent to excel is different than data outputted to excel. Since it's set for formatting - formatting is key on a table.

You can keep a date in date format using an output data to excel (for an alteryx formatted data) - but apparently  it does convert  to a number when using render. I'll go experiment a bit more.

curiously even a %M %d %Y formatted date shows up as a number under render.

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@kdjhndy 
I think this might the behavior of Render tool. 
On the other hand, the table by Output tool is working fine.
Would it be possible for you to usue Output tool instead?

Capture1A.PNG

VEDH
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

Any solution on this thread??

I've too have came across a similar scenario and render output is only a option for me, since I am using report text to add hyperlink for switching between multiple tabs.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @VEDH 

This seems to be a limitation of the reporting tools.

riyadh_jose
6 - Meteoroid

Sharing the solution I found.

It's a limitation of Excel to read Alteryx Date data as actual date when rendering. Excel create a space at the beginning of the content making the data into a string.

Solution: Select the data or column of data>Go to Data Tab>Select Text to Columns>Select Delimited and then click Finish.

Unable to get Excel to recognise date in column - Super User

Labels