community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
#SANTALYTICS

The highly anticipated Alteryx Community tradition is back! We hope you'll join us!

Learn More
We will be upgrading the Gallery to our 2019.4 release this Saturday, December 7th beginning at 9:00am MT. We expect the outage to take last approx. 2.5 hours.

ETS Seasonal Type Multiplicative error

Meteoroid

Hi,

I am trying to use the ETS tool to forecast store sales, and judging by the TS Plot my seasonality should be multiplicative, however if i select Multiplicative it generates an error.

What issues in data can cause problems in ETS tool?

Thanks,

Lev

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @LLebed,

Would you be able to upload your workflow (Options => Export Workflow)? Also, can you attach a screenshot of the error message you are receiving?

Thanks!

Hoss Carroll
Customer Support Engineer
Alteryx
Highlighted
Meteoroid

Hey @HossC,

I only now received a notification. I have now moved on towards ARIMA model and it appears to work better. I will try to update this query once i come back to ETS as i figured a better way of slicing data and would take time to re-apply ETS to it

Thanks

Meteoroid

I met the similar error in ETS when specify seasonality with A or M, can anyone help?

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hey @fengyujing

Would you be able to upload your workflow (Options => Export Workflow)? Also, can you attach a screenshot of the error message you are receiving?

Thanks!

Hoss Carroll
Alteryx
Meteoroid

Here is the example, when I choose seasonality with auto, it run fine , but when I change it to Additive or multiplicative, it failed . Please help, thanks!

Meteoroid

Have you get chance look this issues? any update? Thanks 

Alteryx
Alteryx

Hello @fengyujing,

The error message that I received was the following:

Error Message.png

After enabling all Macro Messages, I received the following error:

All Macro Messages.png

All Messages Error.png

The ETS: Frequency too high message is the most relevant for this error. After looking into this error message for ETS, I was able to find the reason for this behavior. The error message you are seeing is a result of specific limitations for the ets() function that is used for this tool. Specifically, the ets() function restricts seasonality to be a maximum period of 24. This article describes this behavior in further detail: https://robjhyndman.com/hyndsight/longseasonality/

Specifically, the following statement gives a brief description as to why this restriction was implemented in this function: "The problem is that there are m−1 parameters to be estimated for the initial seasonal states where m is the seasonal period. So for large m, the estimation becomes almost impossible."

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Hoss Carroll
Alteryx
Labels