Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

ETL Challenge !!

gnans19
11 - Bolide

I am trying convert my client data into our standard structure using a mapping file. If there is 1:1 mapping, the logic works well using Dynamic Rename tool. If I have the same source field mapped to multiple target fields, I cannot get through using Dynamic Rename tool.

PS: I can achieve the result using Transpose, Join and CrossTab. That's not an option. I have 2 Million rows and 300 columns. 

Attached workflow with sample data and expected result

image.png

15 REPLIES 15
jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Follow up questions:

Why are you forcing a duplicate field for "a"? alteryx will rename with a numbered suffix for all duplicate fields. 

Do you know which fields you want to duplicate? - if so, you can duplicate them from the source and then rename your mapping to be unique.

gnans19
11 - Bolide

@jarrod 

I am not forcing duplicate names. Source represents column names from my client files and Target represents column names from my table. I am trying to map Source columns to my Target. At times, the same source column is mapped to more than one Target column. There is no duplicate column naming here.

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

that's odd. Alteryx should be forcing a rename as the fields are coming through. (Alteryx doesn't like duplicate field names) Is that not happening?

gnans19
11 - Bolide

@jarrod Source has only one column named 'a', But I am mapping that column to more than one column in Target(A1, AA1). Hope this clarifies. 

jarrod
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Gotcha. I just had a thought and created a macro/process that should achieve what you are looking for. See the attached packaged workflow.

gnans19
11 - Bolide

Thank You @jarrod 

Labels