Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Alteryx is here to help you solve your biggest data challenges. Read about the new Virtual Solution Center here.

EST to UTC with daylight savings

Highlighted
7 - Meteor

I would like to convert my data that is in EST to UTC incorporating the day light savings.I used DateTimeToUTC(),but I dont get get the desired ouput as there is no option to mention the timezone of the input data

13 - Pulsar

The workflow assumes the data is in local time when it is run (so if it's running on a server, it's the time zone of wherever the server is located.)  As such, you'll need to make the conversion either manually to UTC, or to local time first and then use DateTimeToUTC().  Something like the following if the input data is in central time:

DateTimeToUTC(DateTimeAdd([YourDate],1,'hour'))

If your data crosses multiple timezones, you'll likely need to use some sort of IF statement to give an integer to each time zone as it varies from UTC, and then use that in the above statement.  Feel free to post some sample data if you'd like help with it.

Highlighted
Alteryx Certified Partner
Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @Newbie_1,

It looks like Alteryx uses the datetime settings of your local computer as the reference point, well that's what it seems to me when looking through the documentation:

DateTimeToUTC(dt): Converts a DateTime (in local system time zone) to UTC

Ben

Highlighted
13 - Pulsar

possible to share the sample data ?

Highlighted
Alteryx Partner

Thanks @danrh! The formula you suggested worked perfectly for me  

Labels