Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

E-mail encoding issues

Verakso
11 - Bolide

Hi

I am trying to do a simple workflow that sends an email with information; it could be as simple as this:

2019-03-15 10_50_01-Alteryx Designer x64 - EmailEncoding.yxmd.png

But when I receive then mail, the encoding goes bad

2019-03-15 10_50_11-Indbakke - thomas.nielsen@itelligence.dk - Outlook.png

I have been wondering if it is because I sues the Visual Layout tool

2019-03-15 10_50_50-Visual Layout.png

But the “strange” thing is, that it seems fine in the Browse tool:

2019-03-15 10_51_13-Alteryx Designer x64 - EmailEncoding.yxmd.png

For information I am running on Alteryx Designer 2019.1.4.57073 and my Code Page is set to be Unicode UTF-8.

2019-03-15 10_55_18-User Settings.png

Is there any settings that I might have missed, or is this a bug?

Kind regards
/Thomas

3 REPLIES 3
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

visual layout doesnt accept special caracters since its coded differently. You have to use html entities. For example:

Hemköp ->Hemköp

so in your case

ö -> ö

ä-> ä

This will solve the problem

Note: tried it out, doesnt work lol.Seems only accepts basic ASCII characters.

Verakso
11 - Bolide

Well. as it turned out, I am not the only one, that have faced this problem.

So a big thanks to Alteryx Support, to be able to point me i a better direction.

This post "How to show letters like ë, ü and ï in the Visual Layout Tool and Email Output Tool" seem spot on to this issue, and @engdell2 provided a solution in this post "Visual layout not supporting scandinavian characters anymore"

The "trick" is to do a replace on the Layout, as @engdell2 wtites, it is not pretty, but it works2019-03-18 13_25_15-Alteryx Designer x64 - EmailEncoding_fix.yxmd.png

So by adding these replace of the "weird" characters

2019-03-18 13_25_39-Alteryx Designer x64 - EmailEncoding_fix.yxmd.png

The mail received now looks much better

2019-03-18 13_26_10-Indbakke - thomas.nielsen@itelligence.dk - Outlook.png

The new workflow with the "fix" has been attached.

cframos
7 - Meteor

I am trying to apply this replacement trick in a Portuguese email, but since the content may vary, I was thinking about putting all possible accent characters in a text input and use the find-replace tool. But I've searched for some sort of dictionary on those characters and couldn't find any. In your solution, how did you found out what replace the accent characters with?

Labels