Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically write query based on User Input in App

jordanmount6
8 - Asteroid

Is there a way to have a query write in where clauses after the user selects and inputs text in the interface when they go to run the analytical app?

Example: Text Box Tool: What Color do you want to query for? The User types in Blue

I want my query in the dynamic input tool to write in under the where clause: and color = 'Blue'

4 REPLIES 4
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

I do this with dynamic input in-db. Basically have your query in a text input and have the action tool change/add whatever dependencies you want for your query. I'd recommend using a list box or drop down though to lock the user into the kinds of fields/values which should appear in your WHERE clause.

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @jordanmount6 ,

@NicoleJohnson has written a blog on this that might seem handy to you and answer a few of your question. Adding the link below if you haven't come across it already

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Engine-Works/Creating-a-Custom-SQL-Query-Builder-App/ba-p/893385

jordanmount6
8 - Asteroid

So i've made a workflow with a check box that is grouped with an action tool for a text box so they can select what they want to query for but my problem comes in when alteryx doesnt like commented out lines in the sql. 

jordanmount6
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @AngelosPachis that is what i am looking for. Appreciate you

Labels