Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically updating output tool

mercurial_maverick
8 - Asteroid

Hello all,

I've an Alteryx workflow that feeds into an output excel file. I want the output file to be updated systematically when the workflow runs everyday. I want the output to be copied to the same output file, daily data needs to be added below the already existing data without overwriting or deleting pre-existing data. Any idea how to execute this?

5 REPLIES 5
PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @mercurial_maverick ,

the easiest solution is choosing the Output Option "Append to Existing Sheet".

As a result, everytime the workflow runs, new rows will be added to the same output file:

1.PNG 

Is this the solution you are looking for?

Best regards
Phil

mercurial_maverick
8 - Asteroid

Hello @PhilippK,

Thank you for your response. I initially chose "create new sheet" and ran the workflow to get the output file. Then changed the setting to "Append to existing sheet", saved it in the gallery and scheduled it for a daily run. When I checked this morning the workflow ran into the below error. I even checked to ensure that "only the output file I wanted is selected" in the "Manage workflow assets" section. Any idea how to fix this?

Error while appending to existing sheet in Excel. File does not exist: F:\Worker\Service\Staging\7520_18196c885e9e40179c4a4310689de40d\AssetScoping Alteryx Output.xlsx (Tool Id: 131)

PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I found a similar case here:

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Discussions/Gallery-Error-Append-to-existing-Excel-F...

I believe it's because that file is being packaged as an asset file when publishing to your Gallery. You can define which assets should and shouldn't get package when you're saving out to Gallery as illustrated below.

image.png

That said, you'll need to ensure that the location of your file is at a location that the servers run-as account has access to. If the file resides on a network share, you'll need to be sure that the UNC path (\\fileserve\mydepartment\something\myfile.xlsx) is used and not a mapped letter.

Is that solving your issue?

mercurial_maverick
8 - Asteroid

Yes it did! I changed the output path to UNC and was able to successfully save the workflow to the gallery. Now I've to check tomorrow morning if the workflow successfully executed the append option.

Thank you!

PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

You are welcome, I am glad that it worked out!

Labels