Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically update output fields in Arrange Tool

tobobydoby
6 - Meteoroid

Is there a way, within a macro, to dynamically update the output fields in the Arrange tool?

Here's the issue: I have 20 excel files that I must format in the same way, but they have a different number of columns. All of these have three columns that must stay the same, and x amount of columns that must be transposed to create the description field and the value field, which is why I was using the arrange tool. I wanted to do this via macro so I could automate the process as I receive updated files. The x will increase each time I receive a file refresh. 

I was thinking I need to dynamically determine (or at least supply an interface option) that any fields that aren't equivalent  to those check in "key Fields" within the Arrange tool are my Output fields. 

Maybe there's a better way to do this than the Arrange tool. Any ideas?

Thanks!

2 REPLIES 2
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

It sounds like a Transpose tool would do the trick. When a Transpose tool is inserted, the default configuration is to include all data fields (and most importantly: "Dynamic or Unknown Fields"). Select the three constant fields that you'd like to keep as Key fields and the "Dynamic or Unknown Fields" checkbox will include anything new that comes along after the input that was used to initialize the tool.

tobobydoby
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks so much! 

Labels