community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.

Dynamically input xls files from zip files

Meteoroid

Hi all, 

I am facing an issue, if you have any enlightenment it would be so awesome thanks. 

Every week I receive 7 zip files, corresponding to one month of data, and inside these zip files are excel files (xls) with the same weird name containing the data that I want. My goal here would be to automate the input of these data (and why not change the name of it), and the end goal here would be to union them in the month ascending order. 

I tried with the directory tool, a formula to change the full path, but when using the dynamic input tool I cannot access the sheets inside the excel files inside the zip files because of some 2010 32-bit Access driver. 

Anyone has an idea for me please? Thanks ! 

Cheers all, 

Alex

Alteryx Certified Partner

Hi @AlexCela 

The Teknion Toolkit for Alteryx tools, specifically the "File System" tool, can be used to decompress a zip archive. The output of that tool is similar to a Directory Input tool where you'll have a list of files it unpacked. From there, you can feed those into a Dynamic Input tool to read them in. This example is using the tool to directly specify the zip file to unpack, but it does work dynamically by changing the "Input Type" to "Batch" which can then be used to feed in the list of zips it needs to unpack.

image.png

While this toolkit is free of cost, it does require a license to use. 

Hope this helps and feel free to reach out if you have any issues using the tool!

Best,

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

Hi @AlexCela 

Could you Use the Input Data Tool to select one or more data files stored within a .zip file. The following file formats can be read from a .zip file:

• Streaming-compatible (read directly into memory): .avro, .csv, .json, .yxdb
  • Not streaming-compatible (extracted to hard drive temporary location): .cydb, .dbf, .kml, .grc, .grd, .qvx, .sas7bdat, .sav, .sz, .xlsm, .xlsx, .xlsx (legacy), .xls, .xml

Are you used it?

Tks

Meteoroid

Thank you very much for your reply. I tried to download the tool, I filled out a form, wrote my e mail adress but I did not receive anything, nothing happened, do you know why?

Hi @AlexCela 

Sorry you're having issues with that. You may want to check your junk mail to see if the email the system sent with the download instructions and your key may have gotten flagged as spam. If you don't see anything there, can you DM me the email address you used to register (unless you're OK posting it here) so that I can inquiry internally to see if it came through?

Best,

Jimmy
Teknion Data Solutions

Meteoroid

Hi, Actually I made it work with the Run Command tool. Thank you all for the replies, and if I need again this tool Ill make sure to send you my email address  

Labels