Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically fetch the conditions to a IF ELSE condition statement

Debapriya
5 - Atom

I have an input data with the columns: (Data1) (file name: data set)

Serial No.agework classSalary PAeducationmarital-statusoccupationgenderhours-per-weeknative-country

I have separate data sheet for the conditions to be applied on the above data: (Data2) (filename : Rules)

Rule Serial Noage lower limitage upper limitSalary Lower LimitSalary Upper LimitGenderClass

Problem:

The Age, Salary PA & Gender (Data1) are the focus columns on which the data need be segregated and the Class(data2) would be appended to the Data1 as a new column.

The Conditions data (Data2) needs to be fed dynamically to the IF ELSE statements, since the conditions change periodically. (can't be hardcoded)

Conditions need to be compared with a FOR Loop, and the CLASS value to be set/defined for each row of the Data1.

Example:

The final data should give an output as: 

agework classSalary PAeducationmarital-statusoccupationgenderhours-per-weeknative-country

Class (from Data2)

Below i have written a code in a made-up language. treat this as  a logic:

• For Each [Serial No]
    • For Each [Rule Serial No]
      • If [Data1.Gender] = [Data2.Gender] and [Age] <=  [age upper limit] and [Age] >=  [age lower limit]
        • and [Salary PA] <= [Salary Lower Limit] and [Salary PA] >= [Salary Upper Limit]  
        • then [Class]
      • Else
        • "Error"
      • Endif

Can this be automated in Alteryx? refer attachments for Data.

2 REPLIES 2
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Debapriya,

if you want to do this in Alteryx, you will not need an iterative macro to do so. In your case, you can use a 2 steps method to do so :

1. Append your rules to your main dataset with the Append Tool
    1. it will allow you to multiply each line by all the rules you have
  2. Use a custom filter in which you do something like the formula bellow:
    1. [Data1.Gender] = [Data2.Gender] and [Age] <=  [age upper limit] and [Age] >=  [age lower limit] and [Salary PA] <= [Salary Lower Limit] and [Salary PA] >= [Salary Upper Limit] 
    2. this will filter to only take the data in your ranges.

Tell me if it's not clear,

Arthur

Debapriya
5 - Atom

Thank you so much.

Labels