Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically create 12 variables (Jan to Dec)

Rev80
5 - Atom

Hi all,

Hoping someone can help here. Thank you in advance.

I am looking for a way to dynamically create M01, M02, M03, M04, M05, M06, M07, M08, M09, M10, M11, and M12 based on the input table. The input table changes – sometimes it may have M1, M2 and sometimes it may have M3 and M4, as a few examples.

I want to create an automated process that creates these twelve variables. If the column (M01 to M12) exists in the input file then use it  - if not, then create it and simply set the values to 0.

Example 1:
Input data contains: M01 and M02
Process: takes M01 and M02 from input and creates M03 through to M12 and sets them with 0 values

Example 2:
Input data contains: M03 and M04
Process: takes M03 and M04 from input and creates M01 and M02 and also creates M05 through to M12 and sets them with 0 values

Example 3:
Input data contains: M09, M10, M11 and M12
Process: takes M09, M10, M11, and M12 from input and creates M01 through to M08 and sets them with 0 values

Regards,

Rev

3 REPLIES 3
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Rev80 

If you UNION a text input file that has the required fields (e.g. M01 to M12) and include your data, then you'll always have the 12 months.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Rev80 

I'd try to use Join Multiple (see if it works for you)

Example13213.PNG

- 1st Text Input tool is your data with Month Columns

- 2nd Text Input Tool is made up of all of Month Columns with 0 values.

- You then join multiple the two datasets by Record Position. Make sure your "Unknown" field is checked.

- Use Dynamic Select to get rid of duplicate fields from 2nd dataset. They are easy to identify by the "Input_#" prefix that is added to them.

I used the formula: !StartsWith([Name], "Input_#")

- Use Data Cleansing to transform Null values to 0.

Just a different point of view, tell me if it works out for you.

Cheers,

Rev80
5 - Atom

Perfect! That's great.

Labels