Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamically change personal id in file path for multiple people to be able to run workflow

max_hfr2
5 - Atom

Hi everyone,

I am trying to solve an issue regarding file path inputs/outputs.

My team and I are using a cloud based solution to save our local files. 

Each of us sync the shared cloud folder to our computer.

It creates a file path on our computers which saves files locally and then syncs them with the cloud.

However we all have a different file path on our computers as it contains our personal ID : EG mine : zx274498

C:\Users\zx274498\Company\Data - Documents

If I use the folder as an entry for a csv file for example or to output a new file it works fine.

However if one of my teammates tries to run the workflow the file path won't be found as it contains my unique ID instead of theirs.

I was wondering if anyone would have a solution for that ?

TL;DR Trying to dynamically change personal id in file path for multiple people to be able to run workflows.

Thank you in advance

2 REPLIES 2
Emmanuel_G
13 - Pulsar

@max_hfr2 

Do you want something like this ?

Please do not hesitate to mark this answer as solution if it helped.

Emmanuel_G_0-1663845715679.png

AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @max_hfr2 ,

If the whole team uses the same folder structure then potentially you can use relative paths for whatever comes before the personal ID. If the workflow is saved in the Company subfolder, then by using relative paths the filepath will become .\Data - Documents 

If everyone does that then the dependency on a user's ID will not be an issue anymore. Here's a blog that will help you understand the concept a bit better, maybe that's what you're after

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Knowledge-Base/File-Paths-and-Alteryx/ta-p/847200

Thanks,

Angelos

Labels