Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically add a string to every column

Bigmonki
8 - Asteroid

Hi, 

Wondering if anyone can assist? I am writing several workflows where I am bringing in baseline data and 'Market' data. When I join / union these data streams, they all have the column names.

What I would like to do is dynamically rename all the columns to identify which are coming from the baseline and which are from the market, so an example:

EXPENSE ACCOUNT PRIORITY CONTROL 

As these would be the same in both I would like to rename as:

MKT EXPENSE, MKT ACCOUNT,  MKT PRIORITY etc for the markets and:

GSIP EXPENSE, GSIP ACCOUNT, GSIP PRIORITY for the baseline

Not sure how I can do this? For each query the headings change which is why I would like a solution that just prefixes the column with either MKT or GSIP.

3 REPLIES 3
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

How about using a Dynamic Rename tool?

dynamic rename.png

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

Hi @Bigmonki 

you can add a prefix to field names within the join tool

prefix after join.jpg

Best,

Roland

Infotopics - Benelux partner of the year
Empowering business through analytics. See, Understand, Act!
MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@Bigmonki ,

One of my favorite wonders of Alteryx is that there are so many solutions (hint to mark multiple responses as "Accepted" solutions).  One dynamic method is a variant of the two provided solutions.

1. On input of data, configure the input dropdown to change #5 (Output File Name as Field) to FILE NAME ONLY.
  2. Use the Dynamic Rename to compute the Prefix (e.g.  IIF(Contains(FileName,"Marketing"),"MKT_"+[_CurrentField_]",[_CurrentField_]).  You'll have different formulas on each input or use the same formula with IF THEN ELSE logic.
  3. Enjoy a cup of coffee.

Cheers,

Mark

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
Labels