Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically Update Reporting from Excel Spreadsheets

Alt_dp
7 - Meteor

I'm working on a requirement which i'm not sure i can achieve in Alteryx. Please guide me through the steps if i can achieve below requirement

I want to create a form, that search a particular data set from dataset, then displays the data in text box. Upon display, the customer can edit the value in the text box and hit submit. The value in the database gets updated.

Example with the attached data set: In the initial web form i will enter value 4 and submit the form. 7817 gets returned from database and will be displayed in text box. The user modify 7817 to 7890 and submit the form. The value in the excel gets updated. 

Appreciate the help. Thanks  

3 REPLIES 3
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I think you can achieve this, it may not look as clean as you like but I will build out an example for you, it will require a 'chained app'.

Of course Alteryx isn't designed to work as a 'form' so I would consider other options that may be available.

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Here is an example of how you can achieve this result.

It's quite difficult to explain but essentially there are three parts to this chained app (https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Knowledge-Base/Chained-Alteryx-Analytic-Applications/ta-p/7...).

Part 1: input the data and generate data for the first drop down which will allow the user to select the ID they wish to select.

Part 2: allow the user to pick from an ID, filter the data accordingly and write the value into a datasource which will be presented to the user.

Part 3: present the user the option in the form of a drop down (though as it is a single value they can't change it), the user then enters their desired new value in a text box which overwrites the existing value in the original datasource.

Ben

Alt_dp
7 - Meteor

Thank you Ben.

the solution what i mentioned in the post. But my requirement goes beyond more than what i mentioned in the post. In the first step, my search is returning more than 1 row and multiple columns. I need to find a way to show in the next step.

I will go through the article you mentioned and see it it helps me what i'm looking for.

Labels