Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically Renaming Columns - data on different rows for each column

agodwin1250
7 - Meteor

Hey everyone,

I am currently stuck on trying to find a way in which I would input a file and retrieve the appropriate column header names from data within the rows. Due to the reasons below, I unfortunately cannot just "take from first row of data" within the Dynamic Rename tool.

I have the following considerations;

1. year-over-year, the input file rows will change either up or down by just one

2. the "first row of data" across columns are on different rows (e.g. column 1 will have first data on row 1, but another column could have first data not until row 4)

3. Headers are originally blank - so a field info tool does not help as it just lists the columns as "F1, F2, F3, etc"

I am wondering if there is a formula that can be written within the 'dynamic rename' tool in order to run through each column and dynamically grab the first row of data, even if this is a different row for each column. I have tried several if-then formulas, but to no avail so far

Any help would be much appreciated!

And let me know if any support would make this more helpful to visualize, and I can populate some dummy data as an example.

3 REPLIES 3
Greg_Murray
12 - Quasar

@agodwin1250,

Can you provide a dummy file?

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

This input file sounds like a nightmare to work with...

Try the following, maybe? It might work,

PhilipMannering_0-1605568733184.png

agodwin1250
7 - Meteor

This is perfect! Thank you

And yeah, you don't know the half of it with some of these input files we have lol

Labels