Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically Filter by Source & Export to Multiple Excel Files

jsheehan010
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all, 

I was hoping that you could help me with a very simple issue that I cannot seem to get my head around. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Background:

Step 1.

Take one excel file with one tab (Primary), filter that by one field in column A & then post that data to another specific field in a separate excel file with multiple tabs (Template).

Step 2.

After the info from Primary is transferred to the specific tab in Template, I need to take a different tab in Template (that is calculated based on the original import tab into "Template") to an export file. 

The complication I am running into is that I need this to be able to run for multiple filters in column A of Primary and produce multiple Templates files as an output. The user of the app also needs to be able to select the filter in column A of Primary by using a List Box tool. 

Ideally, there would be around 30 or so Templates that need to be created. My hints were to use macro & use the block until done tool. I just can't seem to logically visualize how to do this in Alteryx. Again, any help would be greatly appreciated. 

Thanks,

12 REPLIES 12
DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Can you let me know what error you're getting?

It's a while since I first set up a Run Command tool in a workflow and I tend to just copy it to a new workflow and update the cmd field with the command that I want it to execute. Unless I'm mistaken the Copy Template.bat file gets generated at runtime and contains the txt in the cmd field. A batch file is something you can execute in a DOS Command window and that is exactly what the Run Command tool does.

The error messages from the Run Command tool is normally fairly nondescript and it usually means that something went wrong when it tried to execute your DOS statement.

Did you set up the temp folder? Did you change the paths in the Text Input tool to point to this folder? Did you copy the template.xlsx file somewhere and updated the path to that file in the Text input tool.

An easy way to test this is to run the macro and copy the cmd string into a DOS Command window and hit enter. If it works you know your cmd string is correct and if it doesn't you know where the problem is.

jsheehan010
6 - Meteoroid

Hi David, 

I was able to spend a little more time playing around with the tools. Ultimately, I was able to manipulate the data and output my desired results. I cannot thank you enough for the time spent helping me out! 

DavidP
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Happy to help and glad you got it working!

Labels