Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically Creating Fields (Months) per Interation Question

AnnArborThom
7 - Meteor

I am struggling to dynamically create a field per month of analysis via an iteration macro.  

It appears that the append field tool will only recreate the same field over and over (see attached)

Ideally I would like to be able to do a month over month analysis with a variable set of months.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

4 REPLIES 4
DiganP
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Can you please clarify your question? Are you trying to create multiple fields based on months. Ex: You want to have July, August, September as field names if you are choosing a start date as July and End date as September?

The reason you are getting the same field over and over is because you only have a starting date. When it runs the iteration a second time, it already sees the column name because the month is not changing. It needs another date to act as a stopping date. 

Digan
Alteryx
AnnArborThom
7 - Meteor

Capture.JPG,

Dagan,

Thanks for taking the time to help me, 

I try change the month in the formula tool but it does not appear to work,

See snapshot above

patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@AnnArborThom Good talking to you on the phone! I agree with you that you were on the right track. I've attached what I quickly created to create a new column per iteration.

Capture.PNG

Note that I also had to change the macro's properties in the interface designer to auto configure by position. Then it outputs a column for each number starting at 0 and ending at my hardcoded 15.

Hope that helps!

AnnArborThom
7 - Meteor

Patrick Thank!!!~!

Labels