Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically Choose Fields In Summarize Tool

akihirokomatsu
8 - Asteroid

Hi all,

I am looking for a way dynamically choose fields to add to a summarize tool. The Action tool (in a custom macro) can be used to dynamic update several different tools, but it doesn't seem to offer the feature of adding fields to the summarize tool. 

Another viable solution that would work is to dynamically remove fields in the summarize tool, since I can by default choose all the fields I want to use, and dynamically remove field(s) for each iteration.

Does anyone have any experience with this, or have a workaround? Thanks for the help in advance.

4 REPLIES 4
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @akihirokomatsu 

What about transposing your fields before Summarizing them? Sometimes this can be useful since the Transpose Tool allows the option to "Dynamic/Unknown Fields" and it would automatically transpose any new Field.

It really depends on your data. 

Cheers,

MichalM
Alteryx
Alteryx

@akihirokomatsu 

What @Thableaus suggested is definitely an option. An alternative would be to use the macro approach and set the Action too to Update Raw XML with Formula. 

raw-xml.png

You will need to build out the XML part upstream and pass it in as a control parameter. If you want to see the XML structure the Summarize tool uses, you can enable this option under Option > User Settings > Edit User Settings > Advanced > Display XML in Properties Window

xml-window.png

Once enabled, you will be able to access the xml in the configuration panel.

summarize-xml.png

akihirokomatsu
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the fast response. If, for example, I had two fields that I wanted to group by interchangeably, City and State, in the summarize tool, how would I do that? I am curious to see if I can get around using two different summarize tools to do so.

Messas
5 - Atom

Hello Michal!

I need to do something similar as you guys were discussing here and I think your solution is exactly what I need, but I had some issues trying to replicate it on my flow.

What  I will have to do is, having my query set, I will use the in-db summarize and a action tool connected to a check-list box (Its an app type of flow, it will run on Alteryx Server) to dynamically set my summarize.

I tried to replicate what you suggested, by it says that the field "Name" is not cointained on the record, but I thought this field would be the one dynamically changed.

I will update here the file that I am trying to run, and for now I am trying to replicate without the in-db tools to make it easier at first.

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Labels