Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically Change Object Name in Upload to S3 Tool Without Use of Macro

tally
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I am looking for a solution that allows me to change the names of objects that are uploaded to S3 without using a macro. The reason for this is that running automated workflows on the Alteryx server does not allow the use of macros, therefore a workflow has to be created. 

I understand that a batch macro is an accepted solution, and I have tried this with success, however, this will not be fit for purpose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

4 REPLIES 4
BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @tally may I ask why a batch macro is not fit for purpose in this scenario? 

tally
7 - Meteor

Hi Ben,

Thanks for the quick response! 

The reason is that macros cannot be used on the Alteryx server when creating automated workflows. So if I use a macro within the workflow that I'm creating, it will not work on our Alteryx server. As we want the process of extracting and uploading data to be automated, using a macro would not work.

Thanks,

T

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi @tally is this a rule set by your organisation? Macros typically can run on Alteryx Server no problem, you just add them into a workflow which calls the sub-process (your batch macro), then when you publish the workflow you include the macro as an asset (which is the default setting).

If you need help publishing I can share some screenshots 🙂

Ben

tally
7 - Meteor

Hi Ben,

Turns out the way we were using our connections wasn't the best for Alteryx Server. Using embedded files allowed us to start using the server in the correct way.

Thanks,

T

Labels