Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically Change A Field Type

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Hello --

Is there a way to Dynamically change the field type based on the Field header names? For instance:

txt_One      txt_two   num_one   bool_two  txt_three

If I wanted to change all fields that started with txt from String to vString how can I do that? I feel that Dynamic Replace might be the ticket, but I have not yet had success in making this happen.

Thanks,

Seth

4 REPLIES 4
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I've attached an example that uses the Dynamic Select tool and the Multi-Field Formula tool.

- The Dynamic Select only selects the fields based on the name of those fields.

- Multi-Field Formula has an option to "Change Output Type to" to set the new field type of the dynamically selected fields.

- (Messy) I rejoined by position, with the original on the Right input so that I can use another Dynamic Select to deselect any fields with a "Right_" prefix (the original fields with original field types).

20181207-DynamicFieldType.png

smoskowitz
12 - Quasar

Perfect! Thank you and have a nice weekend!

ssjl
8 - Asteroid

Thank you!  I've implemented this internally with the URL to this post in the comments.  Is there a better way to give you citation credit?  

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@ssjl 

I'm glad this information was helpful. Citation is not necessary, but I hope the usefulness of this information inspires other to participate in the Community. 

Labels