Alteryx Designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
The Expert Exam is now live online! Read about the specifics and what it took to bring it to life in the blog by our very own Elizabeth Bonnell!

Dynamic select folder path when new ones are being added

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

Hello, 

i am trying to create a drop down list with text input tool for a search form. but i got stuck on this problem. so each month there is new folder of that month gets created. i have highlighted in below pictures so i created a text input to adopt that, however i can not figure out how to change that date in the directory tool with the giving month(drop down options) so that the directory will change the period cycle regarding to the drop down list.

so what i want this tool to look like its that every month a user will select the monthly cycle, then the tool will look in to the folder and replace the month cycle. the remaining of the path address is the same every month, so the only thing that is change its the month. 

can i do this in the action tool with a formula update? or do i need more? i am not sure.

some help or thoughts will be nice. 

thank you so much 

1.PNG

Highlighted
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

hi @wzhu717 

You should be able to do this by changing the method form Formula to Update Value and replacing the specific string

tradingeconomics.png

However, this doesn't address the underlying problem that you'll have to update the workflow every month to add in the new paths.

Dan

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

hi Dan, 

thanks for the advise. is there a way to work around that? as i tried to change the period it seems like its picking up so errors as it can't locate the file. thanks again.

Highlighted
8 - Asteroid

@danilang 

Highlighted
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @wzhu717 

You might want to look into the topic of chained apps.  Your first app would scan the directory, get a list of the sub folders and write this to an Alteryx DB.  Your second app would use the DB as the source for the directory list box. From the user's point of view, they'll see it as one seemless application.

Dan 

Labels