Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic select :Select all columns if it does not contain a string

NidhinGD
7 - Meteor

Hi 

I am having a data set which will have a varying number of columns each time i run.I am using a join so i will be getting the column headers as "Header" and "Right_Header".

I am trying to use dynamic select to remove/deselect all the columns which contains "Right_".(I will doing a calculation on the joined data post which I want remove then from the output)

Thanks

Nidhin

3 REPLIES 3
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

The Dynamic Select tool can take care of this for you. This statement can be used in the "Select via Formula" mode to deselect any fields with a name that begins with "Right_":

IF left([Name],6)=="Right_" THEN "false"
ELSE "true" ENDIF

NidhinGD
7 - Meteor

Hi Charlie S,

Thanks a lot for the solution.

Hope I can trouble you with another related query .

I am expecting my output to be as follows wherein i will not know the Column names before hand.I am trying to set up a formula which will set the Column 2 (Header 2 in the dataset ) as null when column1 is "End of report".Since the column names are dynamically generated i don't have the option to set the formula on name.Instead i am trying to set something up based on the column position.Is there a way to do this without a macro or transpose?

Thanks

Nidhin

Header 1Header 2Header 3
End of reportS3 Pre 
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I think both a Transpose and a batch macro would be the best way to make this happen. I went ahead and built an example of this and attached it to this workflow. This workflow also shows how you could use a Transpose to determine the field and then manually update a Dynamic Select tool with the field number to cut off at. 

Labels