Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic renaming multiple fields based on descriptors from previous column

ipcole45
5 - Atom

Hello All,

I'm dealing with SAP datasets that export out of the system without column headers for all fields.  I am looking to identify a workflow setup that can dynamically rename the column headers based on the field descriptors from the immediate previous column. 

• Within the input file (Column Header - SAP Report Example.xlsx) I labeled a tab called Ideal Output - as you can see from the highlighted fields it a simple concatenation & rename to perform within excel. 

• Within the workflow, I tried going down the route of transposing the data and using a "multi-row formula" tool/formula to update the values as needed. However, when attempting to transpose/cross-tab back I am not able to reproduce the same format I need as shown within the Ideal Output tab of the input file

• I realize the "Select" tool can be used to manually rename the column headers. However when I need to refresh the report and input into Alteryx, the Select tool is no longer picking up the field names in the same order/fashion (i.e. says fields are missing). Additionally I need a workflow that can handle different variation of SAP reports that'll export from the system with the same issue but different existing field headers/parameters. 

When anyone be willing to provide some input on this? 

2 REPLIES 2
jamielaird
14 - Magnetar

Hi @ipcole45 ,

Here's one approach you could take:

Screenshot 2019-04-29 at 17.08.34.png

-----

If I've answered your question please consider marking this solution as accepted. Thank you!

ipcole45
5 - Atom

Jamie - Thank you this is very helpful

Labels