Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic rename with regex

cireost
8 - Asteroid

can someone please help with the expression to replace the spaces after the numbers with a dash using RegEx?  this is going into a dynamic rename tool.  thanks!

Example:

Before:

1234 4545 Building

334343 34345 Car

938 34343 Equipment

After:

1234-4545 - Building

334343-34345 - Car

938-34343 - Equipment

5 REPLIES 5
Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @cireost 

REGEX_Replace([Field], "\s", "-")

This should work.

Cheers,

cireost
8 - Asteroid

@Thableaus  sorry missing one detail.

some of the text are two words so I only want the dashes in between the numbers and after the numbers. but not in between the words.  thanks!

Before:

3934 3493 New Building

After

3934-3493 - New Building

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@cireost 

If the pattern always consists of two sequences of digits (with whitespace in between), whitespace and anything else.

You can set this: REGEX_Replace([Field1], "(\d+)\s+(\d+)\s+(.*)", "$1-$2 - $3")

Cheers,

cireost
8 - Asteroid

@Thableaus awesome, this works!

would you mind just explaining to me how the formula works?  i have very basic understanding of regex.  I know what d+ and s+ are but not sure how the groupings ( ) and $ works.

Thableaus
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@cireost 

First, this website https://www.rexegg.com/ has a lot of good content on explaining how RegEx works.

But I will try to briefly explain groupings and $.

Captured groups are used to reference patterns. If you capture a part of your RegEX, you can use it later - best example is the Replace method.

$1, $2, $3 - refer exactly to these captured groups

They are like stored variables - in my example, I captured the digits ($1 and $2) and everything after the whitespace (.*)

Then in the Replace Method, I referenced them and replaced the \s+ for everything I needed (in this case, a dash).

Cheers,

Labels