community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alteryx designer Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer.
Upgrade Alteryx Designer in 10 Steps

Debating whether or not to upgrade to the latest version of Alteryx Designer?

LEARN MORE

Dynamic rename problem

Atom

Is there a reason the Dynamic Rename tool might ignore a right input when the Rename Model is set to "take field descriptions from right input rows"?  Looking at the xml file it appears the field description simply matches field name for all the left inputs instead of the omitting the field description when it doesn't find a matching field name in the right input.

Thanks

-Mike

Alteryx Certified Partner

Using Dynamic Rename with 'Take Field Descriptions from Right Input Rows' there are two options:

First is to use positional rename.

If this is the case, each column in the left input data is going to be matched by position to a row in the right input. First left input column to first right input row and so on. If the number of columns on the left don't match the number of rows on the right Dynamic Rename will do the best it can matching first left input column to first right input row and so on.

You could also choose a field that has column names and a field that contains descriptions. This will set the description found in [Description Field] column to column names that match the strings in [Field Name] right input column.

As to your specific question, Dynamic Rename might ignore a right input row when there are more rows in the right input than there are columns in the left input.

Atom

Thanks Michael.  I modified your workflow to capture the precise problem, which in this case doesn't actually manifest itself -- the modified workflow works as expected.  As you can see I'm adding in a Dynamic Select and including the [Description]=[Name] expression in order to filter the left input using the rows from the right input.  As you can see this solution works, however, I have a workflow where it appears to be ignoring the right input list but am unable to diagnose why.

Thanks

-Mike

I'm a bit confused. Are you saying that the solution works in the workflow you posted but you have another workflow where it is behaving differently?

If so, could you post it?

Atom

Yes, that's correct.  The workflow I attached to my previous post works as expected, however, when I use this same type of workflow as part of a larger one it doesn't seem to recognize the right input list.  The only clue is that the left Dynamic Rename input is originating from an upstream Dynamic Select rather than a data source.  Could this be the problem?

Sorry, I know you asked for the workflow, but I would need to create a generic version of it that removes the source data.

Thanks

-Mike

Atom

I modified the workflow once again to show the failure the mode. See comments in canvas.

Highlighted
Asteroid

It fails because the description for Field c is already equal to the field name from the original pairing, 

You need to either reset or rename the fields before performing those steps a second time. 

Late to the thread, I know. Just cleaning up the internet one post at a time.

Labels